Thursday, April 17, 2014

DIY Deodorant Followup

I'm talking the talk and walking the walk, guys.


Back in January, I shared this recipe for making your own deodorant at home. ...And then TODAY this happened:
Empty deodorant container
So I decided that it was time for me to try out the recipe myself! You know, for science. I already had most of the ingredients for the second, simpler recipe, so that's what I did.

The Process


Ingredients: baking soda, cornstarch, coconut oil (4:4:6).


 Why would this work? Baking soda removes odors. My roommate and I have been using it in our bathroom cleaning for over a year now. Coconut oil is a great moisturizer--and it smells good too.

STEP ONE
Mix baking soda and cornstarch.

STEP TWO
Add coconut oil. Stir thoroughly.

Looks like ice cream

STEP THREE
Put in containers

Ta-dah!!!!

I had enough left over to share:
Re-purposing old tins

The Result

It's much softer than what used to be in my deodorant roller--I could just as easily rub it on with my fingers--which might be different from what some of you were hoping for or expecting. I also suspect that in the summer it'll be prone to melting...

But it definitely seems to be working so far--I smell like coconuts! :)

And if you already buy deodorant without aluminum from Sprouts or Wholefoods, its a cost effective-solution. One deodorant roller from Sprouts can easily cost $7, which is about how much I paid for a biiiig jar of coconut oil at Ralph's. One jar of coconut oil = LOTS of deodorant. Moreover, making your own reduces the number of plastic rollers that you have to throw away when they're used up. I used my old roller to hold my new batch of deodorant. Last but not least, this gives you complete control over the ingredients. All of the ingredients are simple, non-toxic and (although you wouldn't want to eat them by the spoonful or all together) harmless if ingested.

I highly recommend trying it.


No comments:

Post a Comment